Marylebone Cricket Club is an icon in cricket history. This club was first established in 1787 at Dorset fields in Marylebone by the ambitious entrepreneur, Thomas Lord. The first game to be hosted at these grounds was between Middlesex and Essex, and from there the MCC laid down a Code of Laws which have been adopted throughout the game – and the club today remains the custodian and arbiter of Laws relating to cricket around the world. However, in 1814, the MCC relocated it’s home to St John’s Wood – which remains their home today.
MCC has seen many reputable cricket players at their grounds throughout their history, but one of MCC’s most famous players, and one of the greatest cricketers to play this beautiful game is Dr W.G. Grace, who gave the club great recognition through his monumental performances.
Today, MCC has a phenomenal 18,000 Full and 5,000 Associate Members, with approximately 2,000 of them representing the club on the field of play each year.